Welcome to my blog! This is a place of information and hope for fellow Canadians who are suffering from Lyme disease. I want to share with you the knowledge I have gained during my fight with this debilitating, frightening, and misunderstood illness. I hope you will be blessed.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Best Ever Caesar Salad

OK, if we are going to try to get the chemicals and toxins out of our meals, one good place to start is with salad dressings.  Have you read those labels lately?  Here are a few of the yummy ingredients:

potassium sorbate (maintains quality)
calcium disodium EDTA (maintains flavour)
propylene glycol alginate
polysorbate 60
spice (beware of this.....it probably means some MSG)
colour

There are so many salad dressings out there that you can make yourself, quite easily!  But at the very least, if you don't have the time, look for all natural products.  In my city, we have a wonderful independently owned grocery store that has a wide variety of homemade salad dressings.....with NO chemicals!  It's convenient, but healthier than other bottled brands you find on your grocery store shelf.

But if you don't mind whipping up your own dressing, I have an AMAZING recipe for you for Caesar Salad dressing.  This is by far the BEST Caesar dressing I've had.  I'm addicted!  It is so flavourful, and has a bit of a bite due to all of the raw garlic.  It's not a creamy dressing, but I actually prefer it to the creamy variety.  So here it is.  I hope you and your family will enjoy it!

Caesar Salad

1 large head romaine lettuce - cut or tear into pieces
1/2 lb. bacon cooked and broken into small pieces
1 c. bread croutons
3/4 c. parmesan cheese - to your taste

Dressing

Combine in a jar:

6 tbsp. vegetable oil (I use grapeseed oil which is a much healthier alternative to other oils.)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. salt
1 dash tabasco sauce
1 dash worcestershire sauce (Look for an organic brand with no MSG.)
1 tsp. chopped parsley (optional)
1 tsp. finely chopped garlic (I use three cloves.)
1 pinch each - sugar, pepper (white if you have it), dried mustard, and tarragon

Shake well to combine.  For the best flavour, make the night before or at least 2 hours ahead of time.