Welcome to my blog! This is a place of information and hope for fellow Canadians who are suffering from Lyme disease. I want to share with you the knowledge I have gained during my fight with this debilitating, frightening, and misunderstood illness. I hope you will be blessed.

Friday, October 11, 2013

Review of "Ticked off - The Mystery of Lyme Disease"

I sat down to watch the highly anticipated (among Lyme sufferers) episode of The Nature of Things on Thursday evening, hosted by world renowned scientist David Suzuki.  We all know that when David Suzuki talks, people listen.  So I was hoping that he would have accurate information to impart to inquiring Canadians.

The episode was well-written, with a very balanced portrayal of this awful illness.  By balanced, I mean this:  Basic, true information was given about how the disease is contracted, where in Canada it has spread, why we are seeing more ticks in our region, what the symptoms are, and how it is ruining people's lives.  The episode spoke about the political nature of the illness, and why physicians are polarized in their opinions about how to diagnose and treat it.  It gave equal representation of the two sides, and perhaps even a little more to those who recognize major flaws in the current treatment protocol. 

The sad part about the whole issue is the lack of scientific studies to back up what so many people, including myself, have experienced personally.  I appreciate what Dr. Harris (LLMD from California) said: "I have to treat these people (with long-term antibiotics), even if the science hasn't caught up yet." 
 
I'm so thankful for the few Lyme-literate doctors who recognize this as a moral issue, and who go out on a limb for their suffering patients, and in some cases have risked their reputations and practices.
 
I was fortunate enough to have been able to see Dr. McShane, who was interviewed for this special, in 2011.  She diagnosed me with Lyme disease and possible co-infections.  I don't know what life would be like for me today if she hadn't headed me in the right direction with treatment.
 
If you missed the episode, you can watch it here.